I am sitting in the airport in Killeen, TX. This regional airport is known as the Killeen-Fort Hood Regional Airport. We are just on the other side of Ft. Hood. I have never served in the military, although I did consider going to the AirForce at one point. I must confess that the only reason I considered it was because I wanted to pay for college. However, when I realized that there would be lots of time outdoors, I realized this was not a good fit for me.
Well, the reason I'm in this airport is because I'm on my way home from a 3-day training for teachers called Capturing Kids' Hearts. It was an amazing training from start to finish and was held on a real TX ranch in Salado, TX (don't ask where it is, 'cause I don't really know). There are lots of take-aways that I could share from this week, but there is one thing I've never thought about....those who teach in a military base town. Wow, what an awesome responsibility!
There were 14 teachers and staff members from the Killeen school district at the training. One teacher spoke about the highs and lows of teaching children whose parents are in the military. Can you imagine celebrating with one child whose dad just returned home and grieving with a child whose mom will never return home all in the same day? Many of these teachers are military spouses. They are a dedicated group, who despite their own uncertainty in life, give selflessly to their students.
So, my new heroes are teachers in military communities like Killeen-Fort Hood. They are forever etched in my heart and lifted in my prayers! Prior to this week they were a group I've never thought about. Now they are a group I'll never forget!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment